Wednesday, June 17, 2009

HOST FAMILY をします

I finally met the host family. I was terrified of the two little girls, who are cute beyond reason but talk far too fast and casually for someone spoon-fed textbook japanese to follow. No rejection is as complete and merciless as a 9 year old Japanese girl who suddenly loses all interest in you because you have no idea what she just said.

At first I struggled epically as all the japanese I ever knew left me, but gradually I've been able to talk with my parents. They like watching Child's Play (チャッキ) and Saw (ソー) as a family. And it turns out the train station is literally a block away, so this eases the transportation nightmare I previously saw.

Nozomi and Hikari are identical twins. All look same? I kept track of them by their shirt colors but then they got into pajamas. I'll have to start over again tomorrow.

But fortunately, the girls and I bonded over making origami squids, or I least I tried to follow the directions while they said ”こうして、こうして” and finally did it for me. I later explained I wanted to become a パテイシエ (it's a Japanified french word for pastry chef) which elicited extreme cries of ヘエエエエエエエ?!

Highlight of my life: there was a cheesy news story on about "The Secret Millionaire", and in an effort to teach her daughters important values, the mother starts exclaiming in her best bimbo voice "ミリオナイアの妻になりたい!” She then continued in a more imperative tone- "サーデイアラビアはどう?たくさん石油がある!サーデイアラビアでオサマの妻になって!”

The fact that my host mother told her daughters to go to Saudi Arabia in order to marry Osama and become a millionaire's wife is proof that my family will be awesome.

No pictures of the host family yet, so instead a pic of my last hotel dinner:
bento boxes of sushi and coconut pocky. Major yum.

3 comments:

Leang said...

Post-it on the back of one of them--maybe Hikari. Then you're good.

Elliot said...

But she was talking about oil and saudi arabia! It has to be osama and not Oo-Sama.

(Nick) said...

THE CHILDREN ARE NAMED AFTER THE TYPES OF SHINKANSEN TRAINS

THAT IS NOT OKAY AT ALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL