Friday, September 9, 2011

Yes Man

Sometimes I don't fully understand what's going on but kind of agree with everything to be amicable.  Maybe that's how I got a ticket to The 31st Imperial Highness Prince Mikasa Cup, All Japan DanceSport Championships?

The community center where I'm taking judo has a variety of events going on, so when I saw a sign saying "Ballroom Dance, participate freely" I decided to come back the next day.  I made the awkward introductions, but discovered it was a club much more oriented to the elderly, and it assumed that everyone brought their partners with them.

But, as I am a novelty, a couple of the geriatric dancers got to talking with me, and we talked about dance shoes, and before I knew exactly what was happening one Sato-San was inviting me back to his house to give me shoes.  He apparently runs a dance studio, and sells shoes, and localizes foreign-made instructional DVDs.

Somehow this also turned into introducing me to Momoko, a dancer much closer to my age, who is taking me to a different Ballroom club today more oriented towards 20-somethings.  And also he has access to free tickets for the DanceSport Championships, so is driving me to Tokyo to spend the day watching ballroom competitions.

I'm a little confused about my friendship with Sato-san (in one conversation, we rapidly covered WWII, exchange rates, electrical differences between Kansai and Tohoku regions of Japan, the Korean war, and Celine Dion... I could not for the life of me figure out what the connections were, or were the conversation was going) but at least its a good first step towards getting to know people around here.

2 comments:

JJJ said...

Elliot Eaton: making super random type friends. Please exercise cautions when going "back to my place" and riding in cars with new friends!!

Elliot said...

Don't worry, I actually got (mildly) kidnapped when I was traveling last summer by a creeper I made friends with. And now I have learned valuable life lessons, like don't let creepers kidnap you.