Thursday, September 8, 2011

やっと、携帯!(or, how I got over being a whiny emo kid)

My first week or so wasn't too much fun, but things are turning around.

A big part of that is that I finally got my frickin' cell phone to work.  And the stupid solution, is that I just went to a different branch of the same store.  They accepted my forms and it was the easiest thing in the world.  Apparently another student got over the same paperwork issue by visiting the same store later the same day, when somebody else was on duty.  The Japanese government has strict regulations on foreigners obtaining cell phones "so as to prevent crime", but the phone companies don't actually know what the regulations are, only that they're strict.  And everyone knows that crime cannot be committed over pay phones.

It's a new contract, so my number and email are different now.
Phone number: (international code 011-81) 080-3009-3261
Email: eeaton@softbank.ne.jp.  I receive email freely as texts, so send me stuff!

Class is finally picking up, having finished the orientations and placement tests.  Tomorrow we meet our teachers to which we've been assigned.  We also started the Kanji intensive program, a series of studying software and quizzes designed for us to master all 2,136 jōyō kanji  by the end of the year.  I burned through the first 30 (of 143) tests pretty quickly, although they're brutal about the smallest details of proper penmanship, which will be tough on me.  It will be a much slower pace from here.

Also finally starting to meet the other students, and we have planned an "AKB48 Appreciation Hour" for the weekend, aka get drunk and sing karaoke.  (If you haven't heard of AKB48, they're like any other poppy girl band... except there's 48 of them)

Other developments, I've been to judo class twice so far at dojo nearby my apartment.  Its a tough balance, because the ones who come for the lessons are all little kids (maybe 12 years old, tops... I felt like a jerk when I was paired to wrestle one of the bigger ones) and then a lot of adult black-belts who come for the free sparring.  I fit neither of these groups very well.

Am continuing my quest for a bar to claim as my own... found a cheap one, but it had just a distantly polite treatment from the bartender.  Y'know, the part where they re-explain in badly broken English--"theesu... doriink menyu"--after I have already demonstrated I understand that in Japanese.  This bar is not the one.

Obligatory lolsy Engrish photo of the day: In my search for a decent bar, was attracted to this shining "Cow-Cow" sign from afar.  Turns out its a pun on the Japanese word "to buy" (kau) and is a car dealer.  I was disappointed.

2 comments:

HillBy said...

I tried emailing to your phone. it didnt' work. Good job having a phone though! Love you!

JJJ said...

I just appreciated the heck out of that band! What is better than a couple of ladies in bikinis/sailor suits? 48 LADIES in bikinis/sailor suits!! Plus if one quits/dies, they can probably just replace her without too many people noticing. You must let me know if you find a creepy Japanese fanboy nerdy enough that they have all 48 members' names memorized, please!