Saturday, May 30, 2009

日本へ行きましょう!

So. I'm going to Hakodate, Japan, in less than two weeks. I'm a little late on the uptake in actually getting my blog put together, but it's finally here! It hasn't yet entirely hit me how far away I'll be. Temporarily at home in Spokane, WA, I'm running into all these friends from high school only to explain I'm here in the city for only about a week more before spending my summer thousands of miles away from anything familiar.


日本の最も北の島は北海道

Quick explanation of the blog- anything earlier than this post (January through March) is from the blog I keep for Yale Undergrad Admissions. I write stuff here and upload it to the admitted student's website to share some stories of what I do to get the kiddies all pumped up about college. This post and later (May through the rest of the Summer) will be about my shenanigans in Japan, or as I've already decided they'll be called, Japananigans.

Hokkaido International Foundation was my first choice program because of the homestay aspect. Living in Tokyo through Sun Academy Nihongo would be awesome, but I wouldn't have real Japanese people making me real Japanese food every night. All the programs sent out their acceptance letters over spring break while I was in the middle of the Amazonian rainforests looking at birds, far away from email access. When I finally reached a computer when we took a break in Quito, Ecuador, I saw the acceptance decisions from all of them, with confirmation deadlines that had already passed. Thankfully, HIF was pretty chill and let me in anyway.


北海道の地図

Speaking of missed deadlines, I probably should have already sent off the medical forms... let's get on this.

1 comment:

Kelly McLaughlin said...

The homestay reason is a great one. Also, Hakodate is a GREAT place to be during the summer in Japan!